Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A Nurse was not what I wanted....

When I was growing up, nursing had never even crossed my goal-orientated mind. Art and architecture....was what I was into big time. If somebody had told me I was going to be an orthopaedic nurse I would have given them that look. If you have known me long enough, you have seen the "look". But here I am, We did 10 cases today....pretty tired....sitting at the house, at 6 pm, that's when we got done (12 hours later)...and Ralph calls me, come to the barn now, Kendras got thrown, and the horse step on her hand. It doesn't even take a second for the "nurse mind" to kick in.....what do I need? What happen???Where's my portable x-ray machine...haha...suture.....dressings....all this in 5 minutes of driving to the barn. Long story short, Kendra will be ok. Split her finger open, washed it out, dressed it up. She is very lucky to be alive....Horse reared up and fell back, inches from hooves and her head. The horse is missing a link....no seriously....going to sell barn tomorrow. Can't be trained. Both my daughters still riding....learning a lesson everyday.....Pray for Kendra, she's 16, and will be very sore tomorrow.

2 comments:

melissa s said...

Been through this...very scary. Except it was Raymond who was thrown off and stepped on numerous times, and sixteen stitches later he still got back up and tried again. We sold the horse too, but you just never know! Glad she'll be okay.

Stephanie said...

You are a good nurse, my career choice didn't exactly go by plan either.